Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Apparently Cappo's letter was adressed to Tom (Against Me!) Gabel


Without a doubt Shelter's 'Mantra' record is one of the most defining records for myself. The mix of catchy punkrock, energetic hardcore and meaningfull lyrics was just the thing I needed to get out of the skatepunk scene and orientate more on hardcore.

Seeing the band perform in Den Bosch (one of the first bigger shows I ever attended) confirmed me that 'this' was were I belong.

Though I like the album as a whole, the song 'Letter To A Friend' is the one that kept popping up throughout the years during various occasions. I never knew if Cappo really adressed the song to a specific person, yet he might have written it for Against Me! frontman Tom Gabel (I know it's farfetched but bare with me).

I came to this conclusion after hearing 'White Crosses' the recently released Against Me! record (which is an outstanding record if you ask me) including 'I was a Teenage Anarchist'.

If the friend in Cappo's 'Letter To A Friend' ever would write a song I guess the lyrics would be pretty much similar to 'I was a teenage anarchist'. Especially the recurring lines:
Dooooo you remember when you were young
And you wanted to set the world on fire
Dooooo you remember when you were young
And you wanted to set the world on fire


Seem like an answer to the lines in 'Letter To A Friend':
We could have made that change,
We could of set this world,
This world on fire
What happened to your desire


Just listen to both great songs and judge for yourself:


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails