Thursday, March 26, 2009

Top 3 Shelter records according to twitter

Like many others I spend a lot of time on twitter (twitter.com/xroldx) and together with my 'followers' I came up with this top 3 of Shelter records.

1. Mantra (1995, Roadrunner Records) This was the record that got me into Shelter. Actually Shelter was the first non European hardcore band that I've seen in a small club instead of a festival. The impression that show left on me, changed me for good I guess. I was already into punk, hardcore and straight edge but after that show it became a huge part of my life.

2. Attaining The Supreme (1993, Equal Vision Records) The Shelter record I play most often, songs like 'Consumer' and ' In Praise of Others' are so good.

3. When 20 Summers Pass (Victory Records) Surprisingly a lot of people on Twitter said this is their favourite Shelter record. I admit it was a good comeback after that awful Beyond Planet Earth thing, but it's not up there with Mantra. To me this will always be the Shelter record 'with that guy from Saves The Day singing'

Another record that quite a few people named (so it should be on spot 4) is Eternal (2006, Good Life Recordings). To me it's a Ray Cappo solo record. I miss a genuine band on that one and ofcourse Porcell's work.

Here you can check a complete discography of Shelter and other Ray Cappo bands. Doing so I 'discovered' that I have never heard any song from The Purpose, The Passion is that one worth checking out?

3 comments:

Onno said...

beyond planet earth would've been much better with a bit less slick production. It sounds too nice, some great songs on it though.

Purpose, Passion is very punkrock-y, it's above average ;-)

Ben said...

Hey,

Nice blog, it's nice to see people still playing youth crew kind of hardcore.
Altough I have grown up and listen to a lot of other styles of music, old school stuff will always be my favorite :)

The purpose, the passion is worth listening for a shelter fan. Melodic punk-rock...Even if I rate it below 20 summers pass.

xroldx said...

Thank you Ben

I want to update this blog more but Asice.net, my kids, my band and my work pretty much keep me occupied a lot.

Related Posts with Thumbnails