Monday, September 22, 2008

Bruises everywhere: Paint It Black redux

If one thing this weekend has made it once again clear that nothing gives me more energy than good music. I prefer a great show over all the energy drinks out there.
The weekend kicked off with State Of Affairs playing a show on this two day mainstream festival in a big park in Breda. Though circumstances were very different and I felt akward on stage we did pretty well. Some punks came to me afterwards and tell me how much they liked it. It's always weird playing hardcore for a crowd that doesn't know about Minor Threat or Youth of Today, but I think we got the message across anyhow.

Than it was back in the train to Tilburg to see Paint It Black, with Dan on vocals. The band also played as part of this big underground festival (ZXZW) with over 275 bands, so I was uncertain of the crowdreaction. After taking some pics on my mobile I went upfront and quickly things got going a bit with Frankie Deny (from Heartfelt and Cracks In The Wall) doing weird moves and runs, some stagedives and lots of singalongs. My throat is still sore and I've bruises everywhere. The show was one rush, at least for me.

I didn't plan to go and do much on sunday. That was until Sjarm 13 (formerly Modern Life Is War) dropped by to see our new girl. He was going to see The Real Danger at ZXZW. Since the weather was good I put my son Jelle in the buggy and walked together with Sjarm and his girl to the venue. On arrival more and more people showed up and Jelle had a great time running in and out of the venue. Climbing on benches and whatnot. So I stayed till The Real Danger started. I guess Jelle likes punkrock cause he didn't want to leave. He was crying for a while on the way home.


That night when the kids were asleep I went into the centre one last time. C'mon it's not everyday you have the opportunity to watch a legendary punkband for free in your own city. So I went out to see Wire. Though I find some of their records pretty boring, their liveset was great. It's always inspirational to see really oldschool punks still making music and still playing tight. They didn't play 12xu but the other songs didn't disappoint me.

Next year I'm going to try and see more of the ZXZW fest. This time I missed out on Trash Talk, Blacklisted, Vogue, Sick Mormons and more.


Click here
for more pictures of Wire, Paint It Black and State Of Affairs.

2 comments:

Lins87 said...

Great read and I agree that going to a hardcore show is much better than most other vices.

xroldx said...

Thanks Lins

Related Posts with Thumbnails