Wednesday, August 06, 2008

My Turn To Win - Weight Of The World (cd)

To be honest I didn't hear from this band until one of their guitar players asked me to review their latest record. Sure I said, not knowing what to expect and damn I'm a glad that I said sure. This band blows away most current Deathwish releases if you ask me. 'Weight Of The World' is like a piece of rock which coming through your window. It's fast, shattering and leaves you catching breath.
My Turn To Win is a Philadelphia five piece that could well be on their way being the next Guns Up or No Warning. But that cuts the band short. They play your basic hardcore like Madball did before they were into hip hop, but there are also influences from a band like Count Me Out pouring through this record. Especially ' A Man On A Train With No Answers' and '20/20' could easily have come from the 'Permanent' record.
Lyricwise the band also stays well from the path of the 'We're harder and tougher than you' path. The 'Weight Of The World' is more introspective and personal. Lyrics you can actually relate to if you're not from the hood or in any gang.
Anyone who wants to carry the weight of the world has to be somewhat of a heavyweight themselves. On this record My Turn To Win prove they are one of the new heavy weights in hardcore. The only thing the band has to do now is get their name out there.

Myspace: My Turn To Win
Label: Awake/Strong Records

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails