Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Cash - Autobiography


I guess everyone knows who Johnny Cash is. If they don't they at least know some of his songs like 'Ring of Fire'. I've had a Johnny Cash record in my collection for several years, I got into him through Social Distortions' cover of 'Ring of Fire'. I put on the record (San Quentin) occasionly but never digged deeper in the life and sound of Johnny Cash.
Last year Heartfelt needed a song to put on as an intro before our show and quite simply we decided that it should be a Cash song. (Normally negotions between bandmembers never go that quick..)
After that I started listening to San Quentin more and also other songs.
What really got me into Jonny Cash though was this book and the Walk the Line movie.
Reading the autobiography is almost hearing the man talking about his life and believes in that deep, dark voice. The stories about growing up on a cottonfarm and his times in the US military are fascinating. The part about his first succes and the drugs is even better. In the end I lost my attention for a bit though, the part about his Christianity and biblestudies wasn't that interesting to me. I do however appreciate the fact that Cash isn't (or wasn't) pushing his believes on to his public. I also kind of lose grip on the story when Cash starts telling about his whole family and what they do in live. Too much information for me.
Still this book is a great read for anyone interested in one of the most important musicians of the last century.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails